Sunday, August 26, 2007

Turning points

I turned 50 years old today, and also today I just finished looking over the final proof for Book One. The funny thing is, I consider the latter a more monumental occurrence in my life.

As a teenager and then a man in my 20s, I always looked younger than I was. When I was 16 years old and had just gotten my driver's license, I was pulled over by a disbelieving police officer convinced that some 12-year-old had sped off in his parents' car. Even into my early 30s, I was continually carded whenever I purchased a six-pack of beer. So in some regards, aging has been a blessing to me. About the only thing I don't like about being 50 is that my hair has thinned considerably, which annoys me to no end. Otherwise, being a mature person both in personality and appearance has benefits that I enjoy.

Being so close to the publication of Book One of my series is huge to me. If all goes as planned, printing of The Pit will begin this Tuesday, and it will become available for purchase the first week of September. I'm also within two weeks of finishing the final revisions of Book Five, which will leave just Book Six (currently a finished first draft) to go.

A lifelong dream ... so close.

It only took me 50 years to achieve it.

7 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Happy Birthday to You!

I like getting older, too. I'm a lot more content than I ever was in my harum-scarum days, and aging sure beats the alternative!

Congrats on your progress toward getting that book on the store shelves!

Unknown said...

Great news about your book. I almost posted a happy birthday to you in my update, and then thought: "Well, he didn't actually say he turned 50 today," and decided to read your blog so I would know. Yes, you did! Many happy returns of the day.

And the book sounds very interesting.

Jim Melvin said...

Thanks much for the nice comments and congrats. Rather than do some massive party, my wife and I decided to get a babysitter and spend the evening together. We went to an obscenely expensive restaurant and then wandered around a surprisingly cool downtown (Greenville, S.C.) that included some amazing art galleries. Beats a big party any day of the week, in my book.

ollie1976 said...

Happy Belated.
-Jen

Eric Lizotte said...

Happy birthday!

I'm excited to hear about how close you are to the printing of "the Pit".

Allie Boniface said...

Congrats on the upcoming publication...and happy belated b-day!!

Jim Melvin said...

Ollie, Eric, Allie (hey, there's a nice rhythm to that!) ... thanks so much!

Synopsis

The Death Wizard Chronicles is a sexy, action-packed six-book epic fantasy series: Book One (Forged by Death), Book Two (Chained by Fear), Book Three (Eve of War), Book Four (World on Fire), Book Five (Sun God), Book Six (Death-Know).

The DW Chronicles is not for children and teenagers -- or the faint of heart. But if you like graphic fantasy that is bursting with excitement yet still has a lot going on between the lines, I think you'll love my series.

In a groundbreaking paradox, the Death Wizard, a champion of good, derives his power from a source traditionally seen as negative -- death. His nemesis, an evil sorcerer, derives his power from the sun, the benevolent source of all life. Their struggle to control the fate of the planet Triken will take your breath away.

In an original twist never before seen in this genre, the Death Wizard is able to enter the realm of death during a "temporary suicide." Through intense concentration, he stops his heartbeat and feeds on death energy, which provides him with an array of magical powers.

The series also is a love triangle involving two desperate characters attempting to come together despite the machinations of an all-powerful psychopath with incestuous cravings.

Graphic and action-packed, spanning a millennium of turmoil, The DW Chronicles carries readers on a journey they will never forget.

Do you fear death? The Death Wizard does not. Find out why.

-- Please go to www.jim-melvin.com for more details.

About Me

My photo
Clemson, SC, United States
I was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., but grew up in St. Petersburg, Fla. I graduated from the University of South Florida (Tampa) in 1979 with a B.A. in Journalism. I now live in South Carolina near the Blue Ridge Mountains, a pleasant setting for writing, to say the least. I was an award-winning journalist at the St. Petersburg Times for twenty-five years and I currently work at the Charlotte Observer. I am married with five daughters.

The author

The author
Jim Melvin, a veteran journalist, debuts as novelist.