Monday, October 22, 2007

More positive press!

I finally scored my first review in a large newspaper, this one from the Tampa Tribune. Click here.

Here's what else is happening this week:

* I'm doing an interview with the St. Petersburg Times on Tuesday for a story that should run later this week. I worked at the Times for 25 years.
* A radio spot with thatradio.com on Wednesday at noon (you can listen live online or catch it on archive later). Special thanks to my publisher for setting this up.
* A video appearance with Tampa Digital Studios on Thursday at 6 p.m. (you also can listen live online or catch it on archive later).
* A banquet entitled Novel Night associated with the Times Festival of Reading in St. Petersburg on Friday at 7 p.m.
* A talk, reading, and signing at the Times Festival of Reading in St. Petersburg, Fla., on Saturday at 1 p.m.
* And a book signing at the Tyrone Barnes and Noble in St. Petersburg on Sunday at 1 p.m.

And finally, this from someone I met at a recent bookstore appearance:

Jim,

I don't know if you remember me. I met you in Highlands, N.C., at your signing.


It was interesting, our meeting. At first, I listened. Here sat another aspiring author, blowing air on (and around) his books to keep the dust off boxes of unread, unworthy books, doomed for the lower shelves in the furthest corners of the stores. WRONG!!! I am so glad you kept my attention and piqued my interest. I told you of the juvenile book I had just read in hopes for the next great series to quench my thirst ... for faraway travels of my mind, my break from this world ... The Death Wizard Chronicles, The Pit, had everything I was thirsting for. The detail in which you wrote was exquisite and left me longing for more! I am sure, there will be lines waiting to meet you with the hope of getting a glimpse of Torg and the future of Triken. You are an impressive writer ...

Your Newest Fan,
Julie Robinson

7 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

That's fantastic! So are you mainly getting these gigs on your own, or is your agent or publisher finding most of them?

Jim Melvin said...

I would say a combination of me and my publisher. Mostly me in the U.S., Rain in Canada. But Rain is providing me with the resources I need to pursue my U.S. contacts. And ... thanks for asking!

Michael said...

Wow, this is great news, Jim! Death Wizard really does deserve all the attention it's getting. And I'm glad to hear that Rain works very hard to help promote the book. Keep up the good work!

Jim Melvin said...

Thanks, Michael. It's been a good week. Now, I can only hope that all the hard work will pay off, at least to some degree.

VirtualWordsmith said...

Fantastic! You're picking up steam!

Jim Melvin said...

Thanks for saying so!

Kappa no He said...

OMG, you must be walking on air! And I haven't forgotten. A child home sick has slowed down my progress. We'll e-mail you soon. And congratulations again!

Synopsis

The Death Wizard Chronicles is a sexy, action-packed six-book epic fantasy series: Book One (Forged by Death), Book Two (Chained by Fear), Book Three (Eve of War), Book Four (World on Fire), Book Five (Sun God), Book Six (Death-Know).

The DW Chronicles is not for children and teenagers -- or the faint of heart. But if you like graphic fantasy that is bursting with excitement yet still has a lot going on between the lines, I think you'll love my series.

In a groundbreaking paradox, the Death Wizard, a champion of good, derives his power from a source traditionally seen as negative -- death. His nemesis, an evil sorcerer, derives his power from the sun, the benevolent source of all life. Their struggle to control the fate of the planet Triken will take your breath away.

In an original twist never before seen in this genre, the Death Wizard is able to enter the realm of death during a "temporary suicide." Through intense concentration, he stops his heartbeat and feeds on death energy, which provides him with an array of magical powers.

The series also is a love triangle involving two desperate characters attempting to come together despite the machinations of an all-powerful psychopath with incestuous cravings.

Graphic and action-packed, spanning a millennium of turmoil, The DW Chronicles carries readers on a journey they will never forget.

Do you fear death? The Death Wizard does not. Find out why.

-- Please go to www.jim-melvin.com for more details.

About Me

My photo
Clemson, SC, United States
I was born in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., but grew up in St. Petersburg, Fla. I graduated from the University of South Florida (Tampa) in 1979 with a B.A. in Journalism. I now live in South Carolina near the Blue Ridge Mountains, a pleasant setting for writing, to say the least. I was an award-winning journalist at the St. Petersburg Times for twenty-five years and I currently work at the Charlotte Observer. I am married with five daughters.

The author

The author
Jim Melvin, a veteran journalist, debuts as novelist.